About Us/ Sobre Nosotros
CULTIVATING CHANGE MAKERS FOR THE NEXT SEVEN GENERATIONS
Motivating Individual Leadership for Public Advancement (MILPA) is a purpose-oriented mission driven collective committed to transforming organizations, institutions and systems by advocating for inner and social transformation. We achieve this by promoting relational versus transactional approaches within our overall work. MILPA incubates leadership through culturally competent professional development, networking, and entrepreneurship opportunities that build community power, promote upward mobility and focus on social change. Our approach is grounded in La Cultura Cura (culture cures) and promotes cultural healing, ethnic social media, civic engagement, and movement building.
Building upon tradition and drawing from current market research, MILPA focus areas include:
- Conducting rites of passage, character and leadership development circles.
- Designing cultural training and capacity building to support youth, community leaders and emerging professionals
- Promoting racial and social equity through technical assistance and consulting to advocates, organizations and institutions seeking to create more equitable practices and policies
- Strengthening the social-emotional health, learning, expertise and leadership readiness for individuals and communities pursuing juvenile and criminal justice reform
MILPA is derived from the Uto-Aztecan Nahuatl word meaning “field” which emphasizes the agricultural philosophy of Meso-American descendants, which we have modified to reflect this generation’s leaders:
- An oral tradition of working together in community to achieve abundance, reciprocity and sustainability
- A values-based framework grounded in multi-indigenous thought, narrative and symbolism
- A framework informed by a trans-national analysis of power, economics and advantage
- Applying cultural and inter-generational messaging for inner, social, community and institutional change