About Us/ Sobre Nosotros
CULTIVATING CHANGE MAKERS FOR THE NEXT SEVEN GENERATIONS
Building upon tradition and drawing from current market research, MILPA focus areas include:
- Conducting rites of passage, character and leadership development circles
- Designing cultural training and capacity building to support youth, community leaders, and emerging professionals
- Providing technical assistance and consulting to advocates, organizations, and institutions seeking to create more equitable practices and policies
- Strengthening the social-emotional health, learning, expertise and leadership readiness for individuals and communities pursuing juvenile and criminal justice reform
MILPA is a Uto-Aztecan Nahuatl word that translates to mean “field” and is an agricultural philosophy that is reflective of village and relational values found in cultures throughout the world, such as:
- An oral tradition of working together in community to achieve abundance, reciprocity and sustainability.
- A values-based framework grounded in multi-indigenous thought, narrative and symbolism.
- A framework informed by a trans-national analysis of power, economics and advantage.
- Applying cultural and inter-generational messaging for inner, social, community and institutional change.